An Introduction.

Welcome to my brain. Or, at least, here's a part of it.

Picture this: if this was my home and you were a visitor, right outside the door would be a welcome mat... and if I had a welcome mat, this is what would be written on it. Yes - it would call for a very long welcome mat. And yes - you'd inevitably have to encounter it before entering my home, just to get a gist of what this is all about.

I started this blog frankly because I find it difficult to limit my thoughts to 140 characters on Twitter. And in all honesty, I hate capital letters. So I'm going to stop right there.

i find that i have a lot on my mind, a lot i feel the need to share, to get out there. i once read a quote that kind of stuck:
we write to taste life twice, in the moment and in retrospect

i guess you could say this is how i remember things, important things.

and here's the thing: if a song is really catchy or you really like a movie, you'll want to share it with the world, right? let's take a few of my favourites, for example. also, capital letters seem to make my blog seem a tad bit more intelligent, so i'll just add them back in.

Carissa Rae & Michael Alvarado (Us), Gabe Bondoc, Scott Pilgrim vs. The World, and Les Miserables  - just a few of my favourite artists and movies. After having listened to one of their songs or watched these movies straight to Twitter I went, tweeting away how much I enjoy them. I want everyone I know to have the chance to enjoy these things just as much as I did.

I get the same feeling when it comes to this very large part of my life. The thing is once you encounter it, it doesn't stop changing you; it doesn't stop motivating you to tell more people, to share it with others, to let it overflow out of your life because it's not man-made. It's not a once-in-a-lifetime kinda thing. It doesn't just happen, it's great, and then it's over... it's so much more than that.

It's a continuous renewal of your soul, a constant push to love more, share more, give more, serve more. It's not just a feeling, it's not just about emotion, nor is it completely logical - it's different. It's a never-ending sense of joy, of complete fulfillment, of having walked through a desert for miles and to come to a fountain of refreshing, replenishing water that never runs dry. This isn't the water that the lovely voices of Boys II Men can sing about, as if water will one day run dry. No, it's much more powerful than that. This power, this sense of hope, and life, and contentment comes from the one and only Sustainer. The One that takes things that are broken, empty, hopeless and rejected, and makes them brand new creations.

My life was never perfect. No, not once. I remember I tried telling people that I used to be, what most would call (and did call), a bitch. All I really cared about was myself. I didn't care if I had to step on people to get where I wanted to be; as long as I got there nothing else mattered. I lied, I cheated; I disrespected others, myself; I lived a double life being a different person at school and at church. And yet, for some reason God still wanted me. He kept calling me to Him, telling me he loves me, he cares for me, and can fix me.
But how can you fix someone so broken and empty? How can you forgive me when I can't even forgive myself? What have I done to even deserve this love? What can I possibly do to fix myself?
And that's when it hit me.

"It is God who saved us and chose us to live a holy life. He did this not because we deserved it, but because that was his plan long before the world began - to show his love and kindness to us through Christ Jesus." 
- 2 Timothy 1:9

Free salvation. Free salvation. FREE. SALVATION. No matter how many times I say it, it hits just as hard as it did the very first time I was told the Gospel. And this is the thing - when something so incredible, incomprehensible, yet completely amazing happens in your life, it's something you can't help but tell people about. You can't contain it; you can't be selfish. Unconditional love is not something that's easy to keep to yourself. This love of Christ that I have undeservingly received changed my life and knowing this, it's only right that I share this joy and contentment I have with others.

I'll warn you - my grammar isn't the greatest, my writing can get pretty wordy, I tend to repeat things and I'm one of those people who aren't entirely sure how to use commas... but I'm hoping you'll bear with me through it all.

So, high five. And welcome to this part of my brain.

:)

Comments

Popular Posts