The "spotless" don't need a saviour.

This is coming from a conversation I recently had with someone about sin.

We try really hard to be perfect and not make mistakes, or at least cover up our mistakes from others. Disappointing people and not meeting their expectations is something we do our best to avoid. As much as someone can say that they're their own person who lives by their own rules and doesn't care what other people think, there's a little part of everyone that lives in complete fear of man.

If we look at the church, it's almost as if sin is taboo, at least a couple of particular ones are: lust, adultery, fornification. Things like these happen and people are put in the spotlight, shamed and looked down upon for their sin. But why do we so easily point the finger at others when we gossip, slander, lie and cheat? What makes us any better in the sight of God? The answer is nothing. The only thing that changes our stance before God is our faith in Christ and in trusting that his self-sacrifice is the only way we can come clean before God.

If we were perfect we wouldn't need Christ.

We can look at others and see that their lives are so perfect. They can say their lives are perfect and pictures make them look so perfect, but they're just as messed up as we are, and if we can't admit to ourselves that we are messed up and that we struggle with sin then we're only in denial and we need a reality check with our egos and pride. We think other people's lives are perfect because we only see what they want us to see, but behind closed doors it's a whole other story.

Of course, I can only really speak for myself and honestly, being a perfectionist doesn't make my acceptance of my sin any easier. The fact that I am so particular about everything and that I hate making mistakes just puts even more pressure on me knowing that people will look down on me when I sin in a way that contradicts my culture or traditional values.

If I lied or started talking bad behind people's back, it wouldn't be considered that big of a deal because everyone does it. But if I were to get knocked up I'd be the talk of the town, the slut that sinned, the imperfect person who... is redeemed by Christ.

Regardless of how big or how visible your sin is to others, you're still a sinner and you still need Christ. My sin does not define me, Christ does. I'm just as sinful as you are, you're just as human as I am. 

Your life is no more valuable than mine just because you're making money or have a stable family; I'm no better than you because I am a Christian. So let's drop these "I'm-perfect" masks we all put on to cover up the fact that we struggle and make mistakes, and be genuine with each other, pray for each other, encourage each other and drop all judgement. 

I wish it wasn't one of those things that's easier said than done, but we were called to sharpen one another and to be real, and if we can't even admit our sin to each other or pray for one another, what kind of church are we?

"Whoever conceals their sins does not prosper, but the one who confesses and renounces them finds mercy."

Comments

Popular Posts