Take-aways from 2013.

If I learned anything from this past year, it's this: it's okay to sin and there's a time to let go.

1. It's okay to sin.

Now before you judge me and start thinking that I've got a skewed idea of Christianity hear me out. I learned that there's a huge difference between guilt/shame and repentance. Sin is such a big part of my life, it's a big part of everyone's lives, Christian or not, religious or not. I'm human and I sin and as much as I wish it weren't true, as much as I wish I could avoid the struggle of temptation, I can't because it's part of who I am.
And I know that nothing good lives in me, that is, in my sinful nature. I want to do what is right, but I can’t. I want to do what is good, but I don’t. I don’t want to do what is wrong, but I do it anyway. But if I do what I don’t want to do, I am not really the one doing wrong; it is sin living in me that does it.


I have discovered this principle of life—that when I want to do what is right, I inevitably do what is wrong. I love God’s law with all my heart. But there is another power within me that is at war with my mind. This power makes me a slave to the sin that is still within me. Oh, what a miserable person I am! Who will free me from this life that is dominated by sin and death?

I've realized that hiding my sin from others and from myself only gives the devil a stronger hold on my heart. When things are hidden, satan uses that to shame me and make me feel worst about myself. But once it came to a point where I shared my sin and struggles with my brother or sister in Christ, it made a world of a difference. Being open and transparent with those whom I call family is the biggest thing that has impacted my relationships with others.

Thank God! The answer is in Jesus Christ our Lord. So you see how it is: In my mind I really want to obey God’s law, but because of my sinful nature I am a slave to sin.

Jesus Christ changes my life because I know there's more to life than what I'm experiencing now. There's a greater prize to look forward to. It motivates me to try harder because I know it's a prize that will last.

Why showcase or dwell on the sin itself when we know that it's our nature? It's not so much the sin that God is concerned with but our hearts. If your heart isn't in check stop trying not to sin and start surrendering your heart and motives to God.

It's okay to sin because sin is unavoidable, it's what you do about it afterward - do you allow yourself to feel guilty and leave it at that? Or do you sincerely repent and ask the Lord to change your heart?

2. There's a time to let go.

There are things, like relationships, dreams and goals, that thrive on being fed by two parties. It's especially difficult to be putting your effort and time into something and not having the other half put in as much effort. In my case, a relationship.

What I learned is that it comes to a point when a relationship is no longer healthy for you or the other person. When you put so much effort into making something work but realize that they aren't making an effort at all, that's when you need to reevaluate - why am I in this friendship to begin with? Why am I trying so hard?

If the answer is a selfish one where you're looking to be served more than you want to serve then it's time to take a step back. Stop yourself from looking to others for satisfaction and trying to find self-worth in how someone else views and treats you.

If the answer is because you care for the other person, it's also time to take a step back and look at the bigger picture. Take a look at how much effort you're putting in compared to how much they're putting in - relationships need effort from both parties. If the friendship seems to have only lasted because of your efforts then it's time to let go. You know you've done your part, you've let them know that you're available, and if they choose not to respond to that or take action, it just shows how little they care to feed your relationship.

People will naturally invest in what really matters to them. And the sad truth is, if they aren't investing in you, you don't really matter - and that's just something you're going to have to accept.

Friendships come and go, people change, things happen. You can't be angry at someone for saying something and not following through with it. That may cause you to lose trust in them but I'll tell you this: it hurts their integrity as a person a lot more than it hurts you. Many things can be said but if they aren't backed up with action and a sincere willingness to keep one's word, then there isn't much of a point in dwelling on something that just doesn't work.

For everything there is a season,
    a time for every activity under heaven.
A time to be born and a time to die.
    A time to plant and a time to harvest.
A time to kill and a time to heal.
    A time to tear down and a time to build up.
A time to cry and a time to laugh.
    A time to grieve and a time to dance.
A time to scatter stones and a time to gather stones.
    A time to embrace and a time to turn away.
A time to search and a time to quit searching.
    A time to keep and a time to throw away.
A time to tear and a time to mend.
    A time to be quiet and a time to speak.
A time to love and a time to hate.
    A time for war and a time for peace.

There's a time to let go - and that time is probably now.

Comments

Popular Posts