Penelope Judd.

Can we just talk about how awesome this song actually is?! Okay so it kind of drags and kids voices are always used in horror movies so it's initially pretty creepy BUT it's still such a cool song!

It came on shuffle the other day and I was reminded of how much I genuinely appreciate Shai Linne's work. When I was first introduced to Atonement Q&A I was really impressed by its being straightforward and simple to understand; it defined all the Christianeze we always hear and sometimes fail to understand - propitiation, sanctification, etc.

Eventually, I got his album Stories which is basically.... a collection of stories - bible stories, stories about pastors, personal stories, testimonies, etc. It's so well put together, simple to understand, biblically edifying and actually musically tasteful!

This song, Penelope Judd, is one of those songs that amaze me to the point where I say: Who comes up with this stuff?! How did he come up with the idea to take the Gospel and create a children's story that is so simple yet it captures the basic message of the Gospel relatively well?

So the rhyme scheme is a repetitive but that's the point in it being a children's story - duh! I don't know whether I'm just crazy or it's normal to be mini mind blown by the fact that something so simple can be so beautiful... help me out here.

Can we just take this in:
Mud - sin
King - God
Prince/Son - Jesus
Dove - Holy Spirit
Palace - heaven
Brightest robe - sanctification

Musically, it probably isn't the greatest. Lyrically, completely elementary. But the message and essence of the song is beaut!

If you haven't heard the song before, here it is!

Comments

Popular Posts