The Best Croissants - Ontario Edition

I feel like this information needs to be out in the world. And what better place to put it than on my blog? There are probably other options out there... but this is what I've chosen.

This list includes my mere opinion and preferences, of course. My ideal croissant is flaky, buttery, and melts in my mouth. It doesn't taste yeasty, if that makes any sense, which I find most European bakery croissants do. 

I am fully aware that I might sound pretentious or picky but... I just like pastries, man. I don't know what else to tell you! 

Also, any time you see a "kouign amman" on display, just order it. Don't ask questions. Buy it and have a taste of heaven.

These are not necessarily in any particular ranking (other than Le Beau Lab being the best croissant I've had in Ontario).


Le Beau Lab - Regent Park, Toronto

The flakiest, flavourful croissant I've found thus far. And I'm only talking about the plain one! It has such a rich flavour on its own, it literally melts in your mouth. Over 30% of the croissant is made of 84% milk fat butter - which is the maximum fat content available. 

And of course, they have much much more to offer. I literally daydream about their delicious viennoiseries multiple times throughout my week. 

Most croissants at other places get soggy or aren't as crispy after a couple of hours, but these are pristine and are just as good later as they are when they are fresh out of the oven. 

Last time I visited, they offered a tasting plate of so many yummy treats. No other word can come to my mind other than delightful. What am I, a food blogger? It really was like a party in my mouth. Every bite was delicious, so tasteful, so full of flavour. I never imagined that dessert could have such intricate flavours and textures!

Try anything you see. I guarantee it will not disappoint!


French Corner Patisserie - Erindale-Woodlands, Mississauga

No frills, simply delicious plain croissant. Flaky, airy than most, and you have to get it when it's fresh. The "fresh crispiness" doesn't hold up after a few hours, but this croissant never disappoints.

Their white chocolate raspberry cake is delicious, too. And if you're feeling like something savoury, try one of their focaccias or paninis.


Tradition de France - Kerr Village, Oakville

Simply delicious plain croissant. Doughier than the other two mentioned above, which isn't a bad thing! I love that it's different from the others. Their prices are a bit on the higher side compared to French Corner and Le Delice. I've only been here once so far but I cannot wait to return and try more of their delicious patisseries!


Le Delice - Lorne Park, Mississauga

Great buttery flavour, but lacks the crispy flakiness that the others have. Everything else from here, though, is delicious! Their custard sandwich, their pies, their cookies and chocolate covered macaroons... drool. Also, macaroon - not macaron. Macaroon = coconut. Macaron = almond flour sandwichy thing.


Danish Pastry House - Oakville/Mississauga

That Havarti smorhorn is so darn good. Lactose intolerance has always been a struggle, but this is one of those pastries I'm willing to look the other way for.


Ma Maison Gourmet - Jane/Bloor, Toronto

Simply delicious plain croissant. Flakier than the one at Tradition de France but not as flaky as French Corner Patisserie's.


On my list to try...

Goûter

The Tempered Press

Hadrien Verrier

Zane Patisserie

What bakeries am I missing?


Comments

Popular Posts