We Planned Our Wedding in Less Than 4 Months


Timeline: 115 days 
Wedding date: December 20, 2019
Budget: $22,000
Actual Spent: $21,000

Here is a brief outline of how we planned our wedding in less than four months!

1. Get ideas of what you like and don't like


Votive candles, flower crowns, bridal party names, reception styles -- there are SO many options and ideas out there, it can get overwhelming. It's very possible that many photos and ideas that come your way speak to you... and that's a lot of voices! 

So that's why I recommend starting with what you don't like. By this "process of elimination", you'll get closer to discovering what you really do want for your special day!

I actually began collecting ideas for myself (via Pinterest and a Google Doc) long before I got engaged (e got engaged August 27th, 2019 by the way). We didn't want a long engagement because we had already dated for so many years -- 7.5 years to be exact -- so I wanted to speed up the planning process by collecting all the ideas that inspired me as I came across them.


2. Create your wedding mission statement and set out your values/priorities 

(1 week after getting engaged)

A Practical Wedding was the biggest help with so many great resources and templates to follow. I also have their books if you'd like to borrow them!

If your fiancé(e) doesn't care to be involved in the wedding planning, this is the one step I'd consider a non-negotiable (besides agreeing to actually show up lol). This statement will anchor every decision you make. It will help you say yes to what actually matters to you, and no to all the fluff. It will especially be helpful when you have other people share or impose their opinions and ideas. This was our mission statement:

Maybe yours will have something like the best party ever, the wedding of our dreams or to get my parents off my back. Creating this statement with my fiancé gave me permission to make decisions on my own and helped me navigate when I should consult him -- though most times I didn't need to. 

We also made a list of our priorities and what we valued:
"Intimate" and "family and close friends" allowed us to say no to inviting people we didn't have tight relationships with (though this was not at all an easy process, which I'll expand on below). "Christ-centred" allowed us to simplify the wedding ceremony and say no to traditions that had no meaning for us.

We already knew we wanted to avoid going into debt after our wedding, but having this written out allowed us to reference back to it whenever it was time to make another decision. 


4. Create your guest listS

(1 week after getting engaged)

With public health restrictions always changing, you may not be able to celebrate everyone you'd like to in the traditional sense. But that doesn't mean you can't celebrate with everyone you love and want to support you. 

To start, I recommend listing down the names of people you consider non-negotiable, they have to be there with you. I wouldn't worry about capacity at this point. Just the first few names that tug on your heart strings when you think about your wedding day. Here's a helpful article from APW:

wedding couple at a beach with words "how to make a wedding guest list"

Next is a list of people who'd be really nice to have. For this list, I recommend arranging the names from "people who we feel the closest to" to "people we don't feel as close to". You don't necessarily love them less than the people above (you might tho lol), but you recognize that travel restrictions might be an issue for them, or maybe they're good friends just not great friends, or maybe they're that third cousin you sometimes talk to that you kind of feel guilty about not inviting. Nice to have.

Since our parents helped us pay for the wedding, we asked them (both sides) to create their own lists of guests they would like to invite. With all three lists combined, we had over 200 names. Our parents had planned to host a reception after our wedding which was scheduled March 15th, 2020 -- the very first weekend we went into lockdown. 

It never happened and I don't anticipate it ever being rescheduled, honestly. I know that it's tough with restrictions. But that doesn't mean you should just throw away your lists! Keep them with you. Connect with people who you won't be able to celebrate with in person. Schedule a safely-distanced date with them or Zoom (even though screen fatigue is a real pain). You can and should celebrate with those you love.


5. Research venue options

(1 week after getting engaged)

Budget: $17,000
Actual spent: $16,000

Until you put down the deposit and have your venue booked, hold all your ideas loosely. The reason I recommend creating your guest list before looking or booking your venue is because meeting minimum capacity or exceeding maximum capacity is a completely avoidable stressful situation

La Maquette, Toronto - one of the venues that was on our initial list but eventually got cut.

Remember step 3: always go back to your mission statement and priorities. We didn't want to look at venues that made us feel pressure to fill a minimum capacity requirement beyond our financial comfort zone. We looked at so many venues online -- from event halls to golf resorts, wineries to restaurants, and historical estates. Again, another step that can be quite overwhelming. 

So, we kicked it Lorelai style (Gilmore Girls reference) and made a pros and cons list for every venue we really liked. 

Next, we contacted each of these venues asking these "preliminary" questions:
  • What’s your minimum and maximum capacity?
  • What is your price per head? 
  • Which weekends do you have available over the next 3 months?
  • Is the venue accessible? 
  • What is the parking arrangement like?
  • How much decorating would we have to do? 
  • Do you cater or accept outside caterers?
  • What do your menus look like? 
  • Are there additional costs we should be aware of? 
Hacienda Sarria | Northward, Kitchener, Ontario, Canada - Venue Report 
Hacienda Sarria, Kitchener - one of our top choices, unfortunately now permanently closed

As each venue rep responded, one by one we narrowed our list of 8 venues down to 3. Then we got into more of the nitty gritty: what is the sound setup like for ceremonies? Do you provide takeout boxes if people don't finish their food? Do you have a room where we can get ready before the ceremony (bridal suite)? These were some of the questions I asked which you, of course, don't need to follow if none of these matter to you.  

The 3 venues we narrowed down to:

Besides Google and well-curated galleries on the venues' websites, Instagram allowed me to see real-life examples of weddings at these venues. Sure, a nice wide angle photo will give you a great view of the hall, but most photos you'll see post-wedding are taken on cell phones anyway. 

Since we wanted to get married right away, we asked our potential venues the earliest weekends they had available and picked the Friday that worked best for us. 

Side note: we almost chose November 15th as our wedding day!

Vendor: Spencer's at the Waterfront, Burlington | Enje Daniels Photography

Once you have your venue booked, I recommend communicating to your guests right away. Start a quick website with theknot, wix, or another website builder with all your info. It's easier to distribute this link out and tell people to "check your website for updates" instead of having to send individual detailed messages every time. A friend-couple of mine have an FAQ section on their site which is great to have especially with ever-changing public health restrictions and concerns! 

Speaking of those restrictions, it may be best to hold off on printing traditional save the dates. Print a photo with your website link instead and send those out to any guests 50+. Email, text, or Facebook messenger is usually pretty accessible for the younger crowd.


6. Your Wedding Attire

(as soon as your venue type is decided - outdoor, indoor, beachside, etc)

Budget: $1480
Actual spent: $1040

One dress. One day. Out of the many many more days there are in a year. In a lifetime! Really, you'll probably only wear it for one day. That's what I kept telling myself so I wouldn't fall into the trap of making a huge deal out of a fancy dress I'll only wear once.

I had such high hopes for the wedding dress I ordered from H&M. It was white, simple and cost only $300. They no longer carry the one I bought and returned, but it looked a lot like this.


My mom thought it was too plain and to my disappointment (at the time), I gave in to the wedding culture and booked myself an appointment at a bridal store. 

I was so determined to go the untraditional route with my dress. I wanted something sustainable and not over-the-top expensive. Secondhand bridal shops, like Sixpence Bridal Studio and Second Dance Bridal, caught my eye online and I was eager to see what beautiful dresses I could find there. I began to realize how much getting the dress is a lot more about the experience than the dress itself. 

Even though online shopping is so convenient, know that there are pros and cons for online and in-person wedding dress shopping. I bought a couple of dresses from Shein too but I didn't like the quality of the dresses. 

My tip for you is to call the store ahead of time to see if they can work with your budget. It's best to be upfront with what you're willing to pay so you don't get tempted to buy something you can't afford. If you're super budget conscious, try a pretty bridesmaid's dress in cream or ivory. Here are a couple of examples:


I don't know if this is unavoidable, but some associates don't know how to keep their unwelcome comments about your body to themselves lol. 

The one that helped me commented on my weight, 'bulging' and 'bloating'. If you're trying on dresses and want others' opinions, be sure to brace yourself for their feedback! There are a whole bunch of blog posts online about who you should bring with you and how to prep yourself for this process. Although their feedback may not always be welcome, it's (almost) always honest!


Most bridal shops carry very few sizes of a single dress. More likely than not, they'll have to order your dress in your size and shipment can take weeks and weeks. Luckily, the dress I tried on was only one size up from my actual size, so it would be perfect for alterations. Unfortunately, by the time of my wedding, I had lost enough weight that my dress was just a bit too big. 

Side note: People may tell you to lose or gain weight for your wedding. My weight loss was not intentional for my wedding; I had some health issues. Anyway, don't feel pressure to change your body just for your wedding! 

In-house alterations at the bridal shop were $500+ and I did not want to spend almost the same price as my dress for alterations. I trusted their expertise, but I was determined to find other options. I had asked some friends if they knew any reliable seamstresses and was recommended one that worked from her home and lived nearby.

After alterations
Before alterations

My dress came just under $700 with taxes and alterations were about $300. I spent a lot more than I wanted to, but the experience was worth it. If you're wondering if alterations are worth it, they always are. There's nothing like having clothing fit you perfectly and feeling great about it! All in all, alterations took about 2.5 months. I picked up my dress 3 weeks before my wedding day. 


As for the groom, Gil bought a jacket and pants from Simons, already owned a white polo, brought it all to a nearby seamstress, and was ready to go within a week. 

My advice? Don't overthink it. Have fun. Stick to your priorities.


7. Photographer/Videographer 

(as soon as you book your venue)

Average cost: $1300+

There are tons of photography and videography styles out there. Regardless of how big or small your wedding, you will want some reliable photo and/or video of your special day. So start researching! Google and wedding vendor websites are not the only place to find good people. 

Try Instagram. Or if you're really on a budget, ask some photography students for their portfolios and pick the best one. You can even ask a friend with a good quality camera to capture the day for you. 


As much as styles range, prices and packages do, too. What's most important is that you choose a photographer/videographer who you vibe with and whose style suits yours. If you don't care much for artistry, you can ask your guests to take photos for you.

If your wedding date doesn't work for your desired vendor, ask them for recommendations. Most experienced vendors will be more than happy to make recommendations for others with a similar style to them. 

Also, if you're on the fence about an engagement shoot, I recommend them for a few reasons:
  • bonding time with your fiancé(e)
  • learn to get comfortable in front of the camera 
  • get to know your photographer/videographer (if they're the same one you've booked for the day of)
  • cute photos!
Even if you are camera shy or hate photos, this part is always worth the investment of either your money or efforts. 

Here's a highlight reel of our wedding video! We gave one of our good friends the opportunity to shoot her first wedding and I think she did a great job of capturing everything we wanted. 

Credit: Rachel Chow


8. Honeymoon 

(when you've booked the big stuff and have a chance to breathe)

Budget: $800
Actual spent: $600

Sit down with your fiancé(e) and breathe. Imagine what it will be like for all the wedding craze to be over. Hopefully, it will be peaceful lol. And what better way to get your mind off all the nitty gritty details than to think about your honeymoon! 

I know some people surprise their spouses with honeymoon plans, but I don't do well with surprises and, frankly, I'm a better planner than my husband haha. Anyway, sit down and talk about how you would want to spend your time together! Whether it's right after your wedding day or many months down the road, set aside this special time for the both of you to celebrate alone. 

Since we got married December 20th, we had just a few days to spend before having to return for Christmas. We had a ton of family from the Philippines and across Canada with us, so we knew we needed to get away for a couple days with just us two. We were ambitious and booked a 3-day road trip to Quebec City which is an 8-hour drive from where we live. 


The night of the wedding, we booked an Airbnb. We packed smaller duffel bags for the night of the wedding, then a small luggage for our short trip. Why did we choose a road trip? I've always loved Quebec City. Gil had never been before. And a road trip seemed fun! We had a small kitchen where we could prep food if we wanted to and we were right in the Old City with tons of surrounding restaurants. The only unexpected stressful part of our honeymoon was a hefty parking ticket (Quebec City parking rules are super weird).


9. Everything else


In Ontario, restrictions change almost monthly and they don't really make sense. But it is still very possible to plan a wedding! Once you've got your priorities down, you can spend your time and energy to focus on other important stuff.. or just stuff that makes you excited to celebrate!

Rings are pretty important for most people. We got ours about a month and a half before our wedding date, but we had ideas of what we wanted before that. Sizing and custom jewelry can take a bit more time, so be sure to clarify pickup dates with your jeweller.


Marriage license. A $140 form that seems to cost more with every passing year. Without it, your marriage won't be official. Be sure to get yours within the recommended time period (usually at least 3 months before your wedding date).

Transportation seems to be afterthought for most people. But without a plan, you wouldn't be able to get to where you need to go! Whether you go for a limo, uber, or your own cars, be sure to make a plan and account for everyone who needs to be anywhere at a specific time. Sounds vague, but hopefully detailed enough that it makes sense to you! Just be prepared so you minimize any logistical planning on the day of.

Long before I got engaged, like a handful of girls I assume, I collected ideas and photos from weddings that I wanted to recreate for myself. I knew to save money I could ask someone to hit play on iTunes and create the whole playlist myself - which we did. Thanks to a great friend who brought his sound equipment, we were able to have a mini dance party and some great dinner music. 

I always wanted a photo or video booth but knew that they cost way more than I was willing to spend. So, I borrowed my dad's iPad (with a charger and extension cord), and a friend's tripod, we set up the camera app with 'guided access' on, and we were good to go! There are apps for this, but I didn't want to spend $50 on something I could do virtually for free. During our honeymoon, we were able to watch some really funny videos our friends took during our wedding. I really appreciated that these videos helped me see another side of my wedding day in a way that photos can't.

If you can't already tell, logistics were always top of mind for me. So a fun project I did was go through the archives and print a bunch of old and new photos of my fiancé and I with our wedding guests. I put them all into an album, organizing them by 'guest category' (family from afar, family nearby, friends). It was nice to be able to walk down memory lane and, since we didn't do a slideshow, it's an album I still look at from time to time.

I also put together a frame with photos of our loved ones who had passed away. There are a lot of great ideas on how to commemorate these people on your wedding day, and it was a nice gesture to also show our family that we hadn't forgotten them.  Here's an example. Pinterest has a ton of ideas!


We wanted donuts. Not cake, donuts. So we made a donut wall. You can find super simple DIY instructions on Google or Pinterest. You don't think it will be worth the effort, but the wall we made has actually been borrowed by friends for other wedding showers, baby showers and birthdays already! I'd say it's well worth the hour it took to make. Here's the tutorial we followed.


Well, that's our wedding! 

Any other stuff that other people thought was important, I let them handle it. If it wasn't on our priorities list, I didn't bother stressing about it. That isn't to say that the wedding wasn't stressful or that there wasn't more work to be done. I wrote out the whole ceremony script, asked a couple of friends to be our MCs and wrote out their script, and made a whole schedule of where and when everyone should be anywhere. But I have fun doing stuff like this!

Comments

Popular Posts