What is your biggest fear?

decided to host a “Yes Day” for my nephew – a day where he could request to do anything or go anywhere (within reason) and the answer would always be ‘yes’. First on the agenda: lunch. McDonald’s had a new sandwich and he was eager to try it out! So that’s where we went.

I was excited to spend some quality time with my nephew and learn more about him. Little did I know, my perspective would be shaken and my faith challenged.

I printed off a list of fun, random questions and put them into a box. We each took turns reaching into the box over lunch, asking questions and learning more about each other with each answer.

It was his turn to pull from the box. “What is your biggest fear? Oh! I think we’ll have the same answer”, he said.

Immediately, my list of fears flashed before my eyes. Hmm.. Which one should I share with him? I told him that I struggled with anxiety and that I actually had a lot of big fears.

“Oh, we probably don’t have the same answer then”, he said.

I wonder what he’ll say… “My biggest fear is seeing the people I love die”, I told him. Maybe a little too dark for a 12-year-old? I mean, it was honest. But do you know what he said next? It caught me off guard.

“My biggest fear is God because I know he can help me with anything I am afraid of.”

Wow. That came from a 12-year-old boy’s mouth?! Yes, maybe it is a cliché “Sunday school answer”, but I was not expecting that at all. Maybe bees or natural disasters, sure, but the fear of the Lord?! I wish I had said that!

Childlike faith – that’s what I want (Matthew 18:3, Luke 18:17). To “fear the Lord” is not easy, but it is simple and straightforward.

See God for who he truly is. Acknowledge his greatness. Be in awe that he is near, approachable and yet no one can ever fully understand him. Accept that he cannot be challenged or swayed. Revel in his unconditional love and incomparable goodness. Rest in his trustworthy hands.

For I, the Lord your God, hold your right hand; it is I who say to you, "Fear not, I am the one who helps you." - Isaiah 41:13

This was originally published on TheLife.com.

Comments

Popular Posts